Subject: RE: Cabinet dates
From: "Bruno Tidd" <[email-masked]>
To: "'CRAIG ADAMS'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "'Karen Dawn Hansen'" <[email-masked]>, "'Wendy Skyba'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 12:03:26 -0400

Hi Craig!  Our policy on delays is $ 100.00 per day penalty beyond the
agreed upon closing date. As you know this kitchen has caused a lot of
headaches for our service department particularly with regard to thy
flooring. We could install a temporary kitchen to get the closing done if
the city of  Barrie will accept that.  The temporary kitchen consists of a
sink with a small remnant counter top. This would cost at least $ 500.00 as
we would have to get this special order. Or you could have your company do
the temporary install. I will have to discuss this at length with management
and get back to you Tuesday.

 

  _____  

From: CRAIG ADAMS [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Saturday, July 31, 2010 3:15 PM
To: Bruno Tidd
Subject: FW: Cabinet dates

Hi Bruno,
 
I did send this to the wrong email.
 
Please see email from our Kitchen people and let me know how this will
affect our closing date and if the closing can be moved to a later date.
 
Thanks,
Craig

  _____  

Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 17:27:27 -0400
Subject: Cabinet dates
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked]

Hi Craig and Debbie!

After much waiting, we finally received an update from our factory on our
outstanding kitchen cabinet orders, including yours.  With all due respect,
I wanted to speak with you in person as I felt responsible to explain the
issues to you, instead of Amy having to be the one to share the news.   The
bottom line is that your cabinets are not due to for completion at our
factory until the end of August.  They will then be transported with the
container that leaves our factory next and will arrive here 3-5 weeks after.
We will absolutely put you at the top of the list for installation, which
only takes a couple of days.

I have already contacted the CEO and President and have seen many emails
back and forth to our "ordering" team and our "production" team trying to
get answers as to why there is a delay from the anticipated August arrival.
I have also asked if there is any way that production can be sped up in your
case.  I have not seen any answers but still expect to get more information.

Please rest assured that the quality of our production has grown in leaps
and bounds since you ordered and you will be positively thrilled with the
final product.  The most difficult part of Amy's job is handling information
that is completely out of her control.

I will personally provide you with updates as they become available to me.
I will be away for the next week but expect to see another update when I
return.  I will contact you with any pertinent information at that point.

Thank you both so much for your patience.

Warmest regards,

Krista

-- 
Krista Rudkins
Design Consultant/Sales Manager
GRANITE direct Inc.
7-11 King Street, Barrie 705-725-0033
4-1166 Gorham St, Newmarket 905-830-9033
Mon-Fri 9-5, Sat 10-4